Whisper . 8x10 inches . 2010





1. natural lighting (near a sunny window)
2. artificial lighting (regular interior lighting)
3. combined uv and artificial lighting
4. uv lighting only (with a black light)
5. no light (glow in the dark)

I know this is just a (relatively) little painting, but I've been super excited about it since I started it. I don't even have a particular reason why. I just feel happy when I look at it.

If you've followed my art for any length of time, I'm sure you're aware that I really love shades of teal and aqua. I just want to float around in them. They look so peaceful to me.

Plus, I get a very Zen vibe from the design. Actually, this was straight up an interpretation of a simple enso, or Zen circle. I specifically intended to make a piece that represented as much simplicity as I could handle at the time. Simplicity is often difficult for me to grasp, but it's a style I find intriguing. It's something I'd like to practice occasionally.

Anyway. That's not why either.

The real reason I'm so happy with this painting is because it turned out exactly like I imagined it would. Exactly like I wanted it to. That never happens. Even on paintings that I adore. They always end up somewhat different than I intended, because of various factors that I simply couldn't account for ahead of time. This piece followed my direction every step of the way. :o)

Okay, maybe "never" is an exaggeration, but it's rare. The process is invigorating when it happens though. There is no struggle, just freedom in the art. I'm allowed to step away from the actual work involved to create the painting and fully enjoy the fluidity of my imagination.

To an artist, that's very exciting.

Whisper is available in my Etsy shop.

1 comment:

Kirsten Alicia said...

It's so beautiful - perfect in every type of light.