Ray Friesz, American Artist, 1930-2007

Ray Friesz taught me how to paint. He always wore an eye patch and a navy blue sweatshirt. He was awesome.

Some of Ray's work:




He wasn't just a talented painter, he was also an especially wonderful teacher. I don't know what it was about his words that made sense to me, but every time I asked him anything, I walked away knowing exactly what to do. I will always be grateful for the time I spent with him. I will always be grateful for his teaching. I am positive that his instruction made my own art possible.

The last time I saw him, in June, I asked him what he was looking forward to painting at his "new address." (His words.) He said that he hadn't thought about it, but it was certainly a good thought. I told him that he would probably be put in charge of painting new galaxies, which he seemed to think was a fine idea. I told him he was an amazing teacher. He said that meant more to him than I could imagine. He told me I was like a blooming flower.

I will always miss him.


Services will be held on Friday, August 10th, at 6:30 in the evening at Capo Beach Calvary.





Images of Ray are © Joe Photo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there!
I have a wonderful piece of artwork by ray friesz that I am looking to sell. Do you have any idea how I would go about that? I would appreciate the help!
Thanks,
angie
coinmylife@yahoo.com